In this day and age, who doesn’t know what Snapchat is? As one of the most popular chatting apps most people use today, Snapchat still has so many users around the world. There are plenty of reasons why people are still sticking to Snapchat despite a lot of new chatting apps start appearing these days.
One of them, and probably the main reason why people use Snapchat in the first place, is because it’s fun. Chatting with Snapchat can be more fun compared to other apps. At least this is the reason why there’s 54% of US Snapchat users open this app on a daily basis.
Aside from chatting with your friends or family members, sometimes you can also see some funny pics that are worth saving. Usually, what we’d like to do in this situation is take a screenshot of the particular image we want to save.
But, is it actually doable on Snapchat? If yes, then how to screenshot on Snapchat without them knowing?
How to Screenshot on Snapchat without Them Knowing
Now, before we dig deeper into the methods to take screenshots from Snapchat, we want to tell you something. It’s actually illegal to take screenshots from Snapchat. This activity is heavily tied to privacy laws, which can be quite strict most of the time.
Snapchat even told its users not to do it as the act can be included as a privacy breach. It might lead to 10 years of imprisonment, which is really terrible. So for those of you who didn’t know it, now you do.
So before taking any considerate action, please think twice whether it’s actually worth the try or not. What’s terrible is that the person you’re chatting with will use this privacy breach law against you.
Yes, Snapchat will only send notifications when someone is taking screenshots of your messages or images, and not public profile pictures and stories.
Method 1. Use Google Assistant (Android)
Now, we understand that you know the consequences and wish to go further to find out how to screenshot Snapchat without them knowing. The very first method is by using Google Assistant from Android.
People will usually use this feature for so many other things, like creating a timer, reminder, or integration with the smart home environment. But in the case of taking screenshots, you can also use Google Assistant to do it for you.
This can be considered as an instant method as you don’t need to install or use any apps outside the default ones installed on your phone. The way this method works is by giving a command to take a screenshot to Google Assistant. Let it take the screenshot and share it somewhere for it to be saved.
Now, here’s what you need to do:
- First, open the Snapchat app, and open up any messages you want to capture
- Now, open Google Assistant by saying, “OK Google”
- Once it’s activated, you can say something like “take screenshot”, and it’ll do as you command
- Now that the image has been captured, you can share it with other apps to store it. You can either use Google Drive or a chatting app for easier saving.
Method 2. Use another phone to take a photo of the snap (iOS & Android)
Screen recording Snapchat can also be made easy if you have two phones. Yes, we’ll be taking manual screenshots. It’s actually one of the oldest ways to take screenshots. Back in the day, people will directly capture an image by using a phone camera. Although the result won’t be as good as taking screenshots internally, at least you can still save it to your phone.
It’s better if you capture the image using a phone that has better camera quality. That way, you’ll have better capture quality as well. Want to try it? Follow these simple steps:
- The first thing you must do is to open the Snapchat app on another phone. Have the app installed if the phone doesn’t have it
- Now open the messages or images you want to save, and don’t do anything.
- Then, prepare the second phone used for screen capturing.
- Adjust the position correctly, and make sure that it’s captured perfectly. You may adjust the camera’s brightness if it’s too dark or bright.
- Capture the image, and then you’re done!
Method 3. Use Private Screenshots (Android)
74% of Snapchat users in the US have been using the app to chat with friends and family. Others use it for entertainment and to check updated news. If you notice that there’s something interesting worth screen capturing when chatting with somebody, surely you want to take a screenshot of it.
Unfortunately, Snapchat will send a notification to the recipient if you do so. So to avoid getting caught in the act (which can be pretty embarrassing), you can use an app called Private Screenshots instead.
As the name implies, this app is used for taking screenshots secretly. It works only on several apps, with one of them being Snapchat. On other apps, like Netflix, or Chrome with incognito mode, it won’t work.
To use the app on Snapchat, you have to follow these steps:
- Of course, you have to download the app first. Simply check on Google Play Store to find it
- Install the app properly, and click the flotation icon you can find on the top right. Accept the necessary permissions
- Now, open the Snapchat app installed on your phone
- Find any messages or images you want to capture
- Shortly after, click the icon to take the screenshot.
As the app will try to take screenshots secretly, the recipient won’t get notified about it. So you don’t have to worry about getting caught anymore. You can just continue the conversation as if nothing happened.
Method 4. Use the screen mirroring feature (iOS & Android)
The next method in Snapchat screen recording is kind of the same as the second method. We’ll be using another device again this time. But screen mirroring is not something that’s limited to mobile phones. If you have a table, you can also screen mirror your phone display to it. And from there, you can just directly take a screenshot.
This method also works cross-devices, so no matter the operating system, it’ll work. Only make sure that the devices you’ll be using actually support screen mirroring. If not, then it’s better for you to check the other alternative methods.
The way it works is also pretty simple. So, you’ll basically display your mobile phone on another device. If you take screenshots using a different device, Snapchat won’t send any notifications. Now here’s what you need to do:
- First, set up the screen mirroring on both devices. Each device may have different settings, so check on them to make a proper adjustment.
- Then, open Snapchat on one of the devices. If screen mirroring is activated, you can see it on the second screen as well.
- Click the images of messages you want to capture
- Next, capture it using the second device. Remember, the second one.
- It’s done!
Method 5. Airplane Mode
There’s also another method we’d like to mention here, which is using the Airplane mode. The way it works is pretty simple, so when you’re about to take the screenshots, you’ll need to activate the Airplane mode first. Thus, there will be no internet connection to Snapchat. So you can take any screenshot as many times as you want.
However, with the recent update, this method is not as effective anymore. Whether it’s before or after you activate the Airplane Mode, Snapchat will still be able to know it. As this method is not as useful as before, we highly recommend using the other methods mentioned above.
Method 6. Record Snapchat using Mac (iOS)
Last but not least, there’s also another method which is using a Mac. The requirements for this method are one iPhone and one Mac. If you never connected them, please do so. The connection process might take a while, so better take care of it first.
Now after both devices are connected, follow the next steps:
- Now, open the Snapchat app on iPhone
- At the same time, open the QuickTime Player app on the Mac
- Select File, then choose New Movie Recording
- You may notice a record button there, so click it. Choose iPhone for the output
- Click the screen record button
- Open the capture area by pressing Command + Shift + 4, and take a screenshot of the image result
How does Snapchat’s screenshot notification system work?
Once someone is taking a screenshot of your messages, Snapchat will directly give you a notification about it. It’ll appear as a small window right on the top middle of your screen.
Is It Legal to Screenshot a Snapchat?
Yes, taking screenshots of images or chats sent in the messages is actually illegal. So please do so with full consideration.
Is Using a Second Device a Reliable Method for Screenshotting Snaps Discreetly?
Actually yes. Using the second device won’t let Snapchat to track the screenshotting activity of the main phone. So if you really want to take some screenshots of something, it’s better to use a second device.
Can You Tell if Someone Screenshots Your Snapchat?
Yes, as mentioned above, Snapchat will even give you notifications when someone took a screenshot of your messages.
Hopefully, with the methods to screen record Snapchat above, you’ll finally find a way to do it properly. As we mentioned many times before, taking screenshots of someone’s messages is illegal. If you didn’t have their consent, you could end up in prison time.
So before taking a screenshot, don’t forget to let the user know about it. Although Snapchat will also send notifications to them, at least by doing so, you can show a bit sense of politeness.